Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Don't Don't Do, Do Do: The Importance of Stating Outcomes in the Positive

Many who have worked with me or heard me speak have been beat over the head with the necessity to state outcomes in the positive.

For those unacquainted with the concept, this simply means stating what you're committing to accomplish, not what you're committing to not do or stop doing. For example, someone who wants to eat better shouldn't create an outcome of "I won't pig out," but instead a 'juicy' emotionally-resonant "I'll only allow things that make me feel healthy and powerful to enter my body."

And now research supports this NLP principle; in a nutshell, if you try to *not* do something, the likelihood of it happening may likely INCREASE:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/health/07mind.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Jeff Halevy
www.HalevyFitness.com

No comments:

Post a Comment